Monday, March 29, 2010

Rescue

Dear Hubby and I took off work Friday to go fishing/boating on the Brazos River. He's the captain of the fishing vessel and I just enjoy the view. Something caught my eye though...



If you look closely at the picture, you'll notice something white hanging from the branch. When I first saw it, it was thrashing around and obviously in trouble. One thing that I love about Dear Hubby is that he realizes what a softie I am when it comes to animals. He offered to bring us closer to check it out. I accepted.



The other birds raised a tremendous alarm as we came closer and the poor trapped bird tried in vain to escape. It had a hook through its lower beak.



Dear Hubby tried not to handle the bird to avoid scaring it to death. He ended up holding one part of the hook and cutting the sharp part of the hook off so that the bird could slide right off of it. It landed gently into the water and tried to take off. Poor thing was exhausted though and it couldn't fly far.



We left it floating in the water. I don't know if it will make it or not, but at least it has a chance now. These birds are just like ducks in the water, they float with no problem.