Friday, August 15, 2014

Apology to The Bloggess in Ref: Robin Williams

Was it my comment that shut down the comment section? I have a tremendous flaw. We took a personality test at work, the True Colors Personality Test. It is spot on, btw. I'm GREEN first, GOLD second, ORANGE third, and BLUE fourth. I'm blue deficient. Blues are those people that always wonder/consider how something they say will affect people. It is their primary concern. To me, everything is just data. Facts, opinions, everything is just blurted out. Sometimes, with terrible results. The world would be a better place if everyone had a better balance of personality traits. After seeing my husband's best friend die of cancer, but not really cancer, he truly died of dehydration... after seeing that I really came to despise the lack of dignity that a person can have when they are dying. I see how a caring pet owner can choose to end their pet's suffering by putting them down. It is a tough decision. I think the decision should have been Robin Williams. Without stigma. I think that when someone is diagnosed with a terminal disease, they should be able to decide their end game. I think that if people had control over that, they might take longer before ending their lives. True, in hospice, it is all about relieving pain. But what about those moments alone, already gone past communication, feeling pain with no one to see the expressions on your face. Suffering. Who has the luxury of having a loved one there 100% of the time, without sleeping, to be your advocate. Who wants your loved one to go through that? So, on my own long dormant blog, without submitting your blog to the abuse for my opinions, I don't think we have any right to judge Robin Williams. If there were more choices for those facing near end of life decisions, we might have less suicides, those taking the matter into their own hands before "well meaning" people take the choice out of their hands. Watching a man deteriorate in front of your eyes, when his feet and hands go cold because the body tries to protect critical organs in desperation... this is not compassion. This is cruelty.