Monday, February 9, 2009

Not all my ideas work

I'm one of the few of my generation who love to cook. And I believe it isn't about cooking, I think it is about feeding. I love to create something that other people enjoy eating.

I was first hooked when I stumbled across a banana pudding recipe. My mother in law had just died. My father in law invited some friends over and I was supposed to cook for them. My father in law loved dessert so I was in the baking isle of the grocery store pacing back and forth, trying to get ideas. I interrupted a little old lady to ask for her advice. She took pity on me and gave me her family's secret recipe for banana pudding. It's "eyes roll to the back of your head" good.

So, at work, I tasted a Dark Chocolate Milky Way. It has this delightfully light marshmellow filling with caramel. An idea popped up. THIS belongs in a brownie. The kids encouraged me. I attempted it.

First of all, WallyMart did not carry the Dark Chocolate Milky Way. So, I bought the original. MISTAKE. Second mistake, Milky Ways tend to get soft and sticky when you chop it up in little pieces when the temperature is in the 70's . Last of all, the chopped up milky way pieces sink to the bottom during the baking process.

The taste was OK. Presentation sucked. I have not given up. Next attempt involves finding the correct Milky Way bars, the freezer, and sprinkling the chopped up Milky Way pieces halfway through the cooking process. If I succeed, pictures will follow.