
Fishing is something that my husband and I enjoy doing. We had an old boat, Old Ugly, as we called her. But she was a heavy beast (and ugly). Dear Hubby found someone to sell her too.
I was adamant that Dear Hubby would not get another boat unless he saved up the money first. Debt is something I fear. We have separate bank accounts and we split the bills up. He didn't have room in his budget to finance a new boat. When his best friend decided to trade in his year-old boat, Dear Hubby wanted so bad to buy it at the pay-off value (which was a good deal-his buddy had been paying it off ahead of schedule).
A weird thought popped up in my head. "You could buy this for him." Our furniture is paid off next month. If we just stopped eating out so much, I could easily afford it. He's got years of work, mortgage, and child support left ahead of him with no end in sight. I could do this for him to bring him some happiness. So, I'm buying the boat. In MY NAME. I've told him that if he leaves me, or cheats on me, that's I'm selling it.
Happiness and leverage. Aint life grand?