Saturday, January 17, 2009

Lucky

On 01/16/09, five kittens were born into Casa De INeverWinAnything. Two appeared to have not made it and the mother moved the other three to another location that we had provided with newspaper.

When we got home from work, Cleo wasn’t waiting for us at the door, as usual. We quickly found her with her kittens. We saw the sad plight of the other two kittens, both mini versions of their mother. One was definitely dead. When we nudged the other one, it let out a pathetic little cry. Its body was cold and it was very lethargic. I tried to get Cleo to take it but she wouldn’t.

I wrapped it up in a towel and placed it in front of a heater. I tried to put droplets of cow’s milk in its mouth every now and then. I felt like I was failing the little thing. But as it warmed up, it seemed to get stronger.

I interrupted Cleo from nursing her kittens and brought her to the towel. She watched the kitten move around with interest and then moved in to snatch it up and carry it back to the others. Success!

It’s the littlest one of the litter but it’s fighting its siblings for food quite bravely. What it lacks in strength, it makes up in determination. I dub thee Lucky. Lucky to have been born into a house where a soft hearted woman lived who can’t bear for anything to suffer. Lucky to have such a strong spirit because I was becoming resigned to the fact that it would die, at least warm, but still die.