My brother and I won't be receiving an inheritance from my Dad when he passes away. He's already informed us that he's putting it all into accounts for the grandkids' college. And I'm ok with that. My son is already benefiting from his generosity... Going to a college that I never could have afforded to send him. I'm ok with the college savings accounts for another reason. How do you deal with benefiting from another person's death?
Unexpectedly, I'm having to deal with that problem right now. I had an uncle who died without a will and without children. His parents are already deceased so the money would go to his siblings. Since my mother has passed away, her portion goes to my brother and myself.
It's over 5 thousand dollars... I found this out yesterday when my dad called to get my mailing address yet again. :) He said "Don't throw away any envelopes that you don't recognize." It couldn't come at a better time with job security being at a minimum. Honestly, I won't benefit from it because it will go into a savings account and I'll hoard it and stroke it and be fearfull about losing it. Because I'm like that about money. I never enjoy money. LOL
What would YOU do if you had a 5-6k windfall?